- Popular collections
- Everyday cooking
- Quick and easy
If you need to make a lot of cheese toasties in one go, this recipe is for you. Buttered cheese sandwiches are baked in the oven until golden and delicious.
623 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 9 cheese toasties
- 18 slices bread
- 60g butter
- 9 slices Cheddar cheese
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:25min
- Preheat oven to 230 C / Gas 8.
- Butter one side of 9 slices of bread and place butter-side down on a baking tray. Arrange cheese on each slice of bread. Spread butter on 9 remaining slices of bread and place them buttered-side up on top of the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Flip the sandwiches and bake an additional 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(496)
Reviews in English (414)
Simple, easy and tasty!-14 Nov 2010
i love it-28 Jan 2015
Made it healthier.To make it healthier I used margarine rather than butter and a low fat cheese.-14 Nov 2010
Toasties without cheese: 5 cheese-less toastie recipes
If cheese isn’t your thing here some cheese-less toastie recipes to try.
Our collection of student toastie recipes includes quite a few toasties without cheese. Here are our top five picks, including a mix of sweet and savoury dishes.
Bacon and chocolate toastie
An unusual combo that some will adore and others will detest, give it a go and decide for yourself Get the full recipe here: > Bacon and chocolate toastie
Nutella, strawberry and banana toastie
This deliciously sweet toastie recipe will make you want to get up in the morning: Nutella, banana and strawberries in a fried delight. Get the full recipe here: > Nutella, strawberry and banana toastie
The full English breakfast
If you're in a rush this full English breakfast toastie is just the ticket: Bacon, egg and mushrooms in a fried bread sandwich. Get the full recipe here: > The full English breakfast
Super simple ham and tomato toastie
The classic ham and tomato toastie is a student staple: Here's how to make one, with or without cheese. Get the full recipe here: > Super simple ham and tomato toastie
Nacho guacamole bacon toastie
A mouth watering student toastie recipe: Try this nacho toastie with bacon and Guacamole. Get the full recipe here: > Nacho guacamole bacon toastie
- 1 block of shredded extra sharp cheddar
- 1 block of shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1 4 oz. jar of pimentos (do not drain)
- 1 cup of mayo
- salt and pepper to taste
Directions: combine all ingredients and you’re done! Allow mixture to chill together in the fridge before serving.
NOTES: You can certainly add jalapeños if you want to. I chose to add pepperjack cheese for some extra cheesiness and a little zing without the jalapeños.
Pie iron toastie making tips
↠ Oversize your bread! You want to pick up bread that is larger than the outside edge of your pie iron. The beauty of the pie iron is when you close it up, it crimps the edges of the bread and seals everything inside. But this only works if your bread is larger than your pie iron.
↠ Cut your crust! After you close up your pie iron, there will be some bread crust overhanging the edges. Cut that off so it doesn’t catch on fire and char when you place it in the fire.
↠ Don’t be afraid to check how it’s going. It’s really easy to (away from the flames) open up your pie iron and check to see how things look.
↠ Designate a heat-proof reload station. After the first run, the pie iron is going to be extremely hot! So designate a place where you can open it up, flip out the sandwich, and reload the next one.
How to make Jamie Oliver’s ultimate cheese toastie
Oozy on the inside but topped with an impressive crunchy cheese crown – this sounds like our kind of toastie!
Jamie Oliver’s cheese toastie ingredients:
- White bread
- Butter, room temp
- Cheddar cheese
- Red Leicester cheese
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
Jamie Oliver’s cheese toastie method:
- Cut your bread into two 1cm thick slices and butter on both sides.
- Use a box grater and use any cheese you love that melt nicely, Jamie uses Cheddar cheese and Red Leicester.
- Once the cheese is grated, pile a handful onto one slice of the buttered bread and top with the other. Give it a squeeze.
- Transfer the sandwich to a non-stick frying pan on a low to medium heat and cook for 3 mins on each side. Place some heavy items on top to weigh the sandwich down and squish it flat. Jamie uses a bottle of brown sauce and a jar.
- For the cheese crown, remove the toastie from the pan and sprinkle some more grated cheese over the base of the pan to create an even layer.
- Place the toastie on top. When you see the fat from the cheese oozing out in the pan, sprinkle over a pinch of cayenne pepper. Cook for around a minute and a half.
- Use a fish slice to get underneath the sandwich and the layer of cheese and hover in the pan for 30 seconds. This gives the cheese time to stiffen and form the crown.
- Sprinkle another small handful of cheese in the centre of the pan and place the sandwich on top. Cook for 30 seconds or so until the cheese has firmed up and is stuck to the base of the toastie.
- Allow the toastie to rest for a couple of minutes before eating as the cheese is very hot and oozy inside.
- Serve with brown sauce, ketchup or even mango chutney!
Jamie has chosen the classic white bloomer instead of anything fancier such as sourdough but this would also work well.
The Best Cheese Recipes to Make Right Now
Toasties, pasta, lasagne, fondue, arancini… these dishes would be nothing without cheese. We show our appreciation to this wonderful dairy product with our ultimate round up of 24 of the best cheese recipes to make right now.
Best Cheese Recipes
Toasted Cheese Sandwiches
When you think of the best cheese recipes, what is more iconic than the toasted cheese sandwich? Not much really. It’s cheese in one of its simplest and most delicious forms.
Pan-fried Toasted Cheese on Sourdough
Pan frying is one of the best ways to make a toasted sarmie. It melts the cheese slowly and the bread becomes slowly toasted and golden.
Trust the French to take a simple toasted cheese and turn it into a gourmet meal! This recipe uses camembert and pairs perfectly with a ham of your choice.
The Ultimate Braai Broodjies
Braai Broodjie, South Africa’s smoky take on the toasted cheese!
Aubergine Braai Broodjies
Just because you can’t eat bread doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy toasties. This recipe is a great alternative for banters.
The Ultimate Grilled Cheese
Take grilled cheese to the next level with this recipe. It uses 4 different kinds of cheese, each with its own unique flavour, giving you an out of this world multi-dimensional toastie. Think smokey, nutty and gooey all in one bite!
Fried Mozzarella Sandwiches
When it comes to toasties, go big or go home. This recipe coats the bread in crumbs and then fried to crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside heaven.
Cheesy Pasta Dishes
What is pasta without cheese? We can’t even bear to go there… these recipes bring carbs and cheese together as one.
A bed made from sheets of pasta sitting in a gooey cheese sauce, we could die!
Macaroni & Cheese with Caramelized Leeks
This cheesy childhood classic gets an adult make-over with leeks, giving it extra richness for the ultimate comfort meal.
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
Fear not banters, cauliflower makes for a great carb substitute.
Pea & Pancetta Risotto
A creamy dish full of the sweetness of peas and with a bite of crisp, salty pancetta.
Pear & Gorgonzola Gnocchi
A devilishly creamy pasta dish will have you question “what is dessert and what is real food?”.
Gnudi are very similar to gnocchi, although are made with ricotta cheese instead of potato. The sage beurre noisette adds a classic richness to this dish.
Another Italian classic made great by cheese, these are our easy cheese pizza variations.
This recipe sneakily uses wraps as the base for a quick and easy prosciutto and cheese pizza.
A buttery flaky pastry topped with melted mozzarella and tomato.
ONION, OLIVE AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART
A deliciously cheesy and savoury tart that is easy to make, and even easier to eat.
SAVOURY BLUE CHEESE CHEESECAKE
What can you say about this masterpiece? Too much, but we’ll just say that this is one of the most delicious cheesy treats you’ll have in a while.
Great Balls of Cheese
Try these recipes for great snack ideas. Ideal with a glass of vino.
These are a great way of using up leftover risotto, assuming, of course, it wasn’t all eaten.
Deep-fried bundles of joy! We mean cheese… same same.
Crispy Haloumi Wrapped Phyllo
An easy cheesy starter that will leave guests impressed.
Gruyere & Mushroom Stuffed Potato Skins
Hollowed out crispy potato skins stuffed with cheese, mushroom and potato.
Fondou with us
The classic Swiss style dish is perfect for a retro dinner party.
Mini Fennel Fondue
Not your traditional take on the fondue, these are perfect for dinner party starters.
Beer & Cheese Fondue
When we think best cheese recipes, we think fondue and dunking crispy bread into pots of edible gold.
If you don’t consider yourself a sweet tooth, try a cheese based end to your meal instead. The subtleness of cheese is great for balancing out the sweetness.
Blueberry & Cream Cheese Danish
Light, flaky and buttery pastry filled with cream cheese and fresh blueberries, this is truly a melt in your mouth pastry.
Strawberry & Cream Cheese Fold-Over Pie
These sweet dessert mini pies will be a hit at any party!
New York Style Cheesecake
Cheesecake is a classic and an NY-style one is beautiful in its simplicity. This is one of our go-to favourites for any occasion. It’s really easy to make and comes out perfectly every time.
Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies
Not only do these look amazing, they are addictive to any who lay eyes on them.
Loved our best cheese recipes? Check out how we make the perfect cheeseboard with Luke Williams from Culture Club Cheese and pop into his store to pick up your ingredients.
This really is super simple to make and you don’t need any fancy ingredients.
This post contains affiliate links: what this means
You’ll need a good quality frying pan to caramelise your onions, like this one from Amazon.
You could make this recipe in a toasted sandwich maker if you’d prefer, like this one from Amazon.
Recipe of Award-winning Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas!
Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas!. Great recipe for Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas!. Kids love toasties, it's a fact! A quick snack you can make in a frying pan and on the grill if you don't have a toasted sandwich maker at home.
Here is how you make that. Ingredients of Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas! Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas! is something which I have loved my entire life.
Hello everybody, it’s me again, Dan, welcome to my recipe site. Today, I will show you a way to make a distinctive dish, vickys pan-fried toasties with loads of filling ideas!. It is one of my favorites. For mine, I will make it a bit tasty. This will be really delicious.
Great recipe for Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas!. Kids love toasties, it's a fact! A quick snack you can make in a frying pan and on the grill if you don't have a toasted sandwich maker at home.
Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas! is one of the most well liked of current trending foods on earth. It is easy, it’s fast, it tastes yummy. It is enjoyed by millions every day. They’re nice and they look fantastic. Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas! is something that I’ve loved my entire life.
To begin with this particular recipe, we have to first prepare a few components. You can have vickys pan-fried toasties with loads of filling ideas! using 24 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas!:
They are fine and they look fantastic. To get started with this recipe, we must first prepare a few components. Here is how you cook that. Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas!.
Instructions to make Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas!:
- Butter the slices of bread thickly on one side each. You can use garlic butter for added flavour. See my link here for a recipe https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/338020-vickys-quick-white-oven-bread-with-variations-gf-df-ef-sf-nf https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/357071-vickys-savoury-compound-butters-gluten-dairy-egg-soy-free.
- Put one slice into a frying pan,buttered side down.
- Top with a generous layer of cheese then any other fillings you'd like to add. I also like to shake some Worcestershire sauce on before adding the cheese https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/335730-vickys-coconut-milk-cheddar-cheese https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/338187-vickys-homemade-worcestershire-sauce-vegan.
- Put the other slice of bread on top, buttered side up. Turn the heat on to medium.
- Fry for 2 minutes until golden then flip, press down and fry another 2 minutes on the other side.
- Let rest a minute before cutting into triangles and serve. Add chips / fries and a side salad for a satisfying lunch.
- Anything that goes on a pizza will work in a toastie. Use different cheeses for different ingredients like a mexican cheese with chicken and roasted peppers, brie with turkey and cranberry sauce or goats cheese with parma ham and pear for a posh vibe!.
- Dessert toasties are great served with custard or ice cream. Just mix the cream cheese with powdered sugar to taste then spoon a few tablespoons over the fruit filling https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/346731-vickys-coconut-cream-cheese https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/332987-vickys-vanilla-custard-gluten-dairy-egg-soy-nut-free https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/332956-vickys-vanilla-ice-cream-with-flavour-variations-gf-df-ef-sf-nf https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/354252-vickys-homemade-sunflower-butter-alternative-for-peanut-butter https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/367890-vickys-homemade-nutella-no-nut-chocolate-spread.
Here is how you cook it. Ingredients of Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas! Prepare of sunflower spread / butter as required. Vickys Pan-Fried Toasties with loads of Filling Ideas!. Here is how you achieve that.
So that’s going to wrap this up with this special food vickys pan-fried toasties with loads of filling ideas! recipe. Thank you very much for reading. I am sure you will make this at home. There’s gonna be interesting food at home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, colleague and friends. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!
Why You’ll Love Today’s Toastie
1) The ‘Simple Gourmet’ Grilled Cheese. We’ve all seen ‘gourmet’ grilled cheeses online. We’ve ‘also’ all seen ‘reinvented’ back-to-basics grilled cheeses. I’m pretty sure I’ve posted a few of them myself. However, what we’re doing today is taking more of the ‘grilled cheese concept,’ and ratcheting up the flavor factor, while leaving everything else intact. “Okay, but what does that actually mean?” you’re likely asking. The grilled cheese is supposed to be 1) easy to prepare, 2) the melted cheese is supposed to be the main attraction, and 3) it needs to come packaged in toasted bread. Today’s sandwich fulfills all of these requirements, but with the added ‘flare’ of grilled peppers that couldn’t possibly be easier to put together.
2) The Peppers. Honestly, the grilled peppers are just great on their own. Fold them into a wheat tortilla, or toss with pasta, and you’ll see exactly what I mean. They are also great on steak, grilled pork, folded into eggs as an omelet, or with rice. You get the picture by now.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread, cut into 1 inch slices
Mix butter, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and garlic powder in a bowl. Arrange Italian bread on a large baking sheet and spread each slice with garlic butter mixture. Place baking sheet in freezer and freeze until bread solid, about 1 hour. Transfer bread to a resealable plastic freezer bag until ready to use.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Arrange desired number of slices, butter-side up, on a baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven until bread is toasted and butter is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.