- Dish type
- Bean and lentil soup
- Bean soup
This isn't your usual chilli con carne. Top with grated Cheddar.
952 people made this
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g (16 oz) turkey breast mince
- 3 (400g) tins black beans, undrained
- 1 (600g) jar passata
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:1hr10min ›Ready in:1hr20min
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, cook onion and garlic until onions are translucent. Mix in turkey and cook, stirring, until meat is brown. Stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 60 minutes or more, until flavours are well blended.
Black turtle beans, or simply 'black beans' for short, are especially common in Latin American cuisine. High in fibre and packed with nutrients, they're a healthy addition to any dish. If you can't find tinned black beans, use dried.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1010)
Reviews in English (765)
Good recipe, I tweaked it a little, added fresh green chilli, smoked paprika, two tablespoons of barbeque sauce, red bell pepper and used 50/50 black bean and black-eyed beans, we're not lovers of kidney beans and this was so much better.-04 Jan 2014
I made this today and didn't like it. Didn't like the black beans not for me. However, I gave to my sister and she enjoyed it.-07 Nov 2010
Couldn't find black beans so I substituted with taco beans and added little extra chilli powder along with a chicken stock pot. It went down a storm and will become a new regular!-18 Mar 2014